Imagine (June 10, 2011)

The setting was the union auditorium and there were 5 of us. I had brought my tucumba and we were singing around the piano. Imagine there is no heaven… at the top of our lungs. At the same time I was drawing. I wanted to capture the moment in the drawing but the smile in Joey’s face simply happened without my anticipation. It was the wavelength there.
Went to sleep late and woke up to Guatemala. I went with a group going to Ak-tenamit to apply the $100 solution initiative that I wanted to understand in a better manner. We arrived to this small community of mainly Qeqchi speakers and a few Spanish speakers. I was again asked to translate. I love this roll because I am able to hear first hand and ask questions that sometimes I would not be able to ask if I were only a listener.
Interestingly, the settlement was created by an outsider from the US whose company kept receiving applications from Mayans to work for him. After talking with a few of them, he decided to go to Guatemala and learn more about the situation. The trends of Central American countries to make of their land reserves has actually been detrimental to the people who lived there for centuries because they are forbidden to farm or do anything that could affect the ecosystem. I was surprised at this practice since the concept I had of reserves from Ecuador allows the people to use the resources because they have been taking care of the land for so long.
This started 19 years ago and the community has grown and adopted the model, even manipulated according to what they believe is right. The outsider is now just an adviser. He is truly an amazing man, Steve. Anyways, what they have there is what I have idealizing for education. Culturally appropriate education that teaches the community members how they can be productive in society without restraining them. The two majors they regularly have is environmentalism and the other is about cultural traditions. We were told about the success of the community members who created a small restaurant in the neighboring Livingston. A lot of chefs for traditional food have come out of the center and they are doing really well!
We went to see the solar panels that had been installed and now provide for the third of their energy consumption. I’m so glad it is the sun that is now directly again able to provide for their energy source. We also walked to their new tilapia farms which use a three storied system with greens on top, orchids in the middle and the last are the tilapia. It was a representation of the cycle of life… We were talking about the use of the plants and Oscar, our guide, was telling us about the use of the termite hives to be burnt so that the mosquitoes do not bite, among other uses of the flora in the area.
As we were having lunch, one of the future Mayan spiritual guides came to talk about the cosmovision class the people of the community have to take. I kept on translating until the explanation of the meaning in everyday came up. This was half qeqchi and Spanish so I was unable to follow. Megan, one of the videographers took over. She had lived in Guatemala for a long time before and her spiritual guide had taught her. It was amazing to hear.
The $100 dollar solution conversation started with Oscar describing the community concerns and ideas. A year ago $100 dollars had been given with the idea that the corozo nut (tagua) could be utilized as biomass or its oil for biodiesel. They had spent the money on fuel for going to all the communities in the area and talking with them so that they could be part of the recollection. Unfortunately, the results were inconclusive. Not enough oil could be taken out of the nut. The conversation continued to look for alternatives. The community had been composting its human waste for a long time and it had worked perfectly until the population had been 50. Today with over 400 people, the rate does not keep up. I proposed something like the biodigester they had in Chiquita. I think it is feasible and I hope they’ll consider it.
We left the school to get to the clinic. We had a conversation with the residents that were volunteering there. One was from California and the other from Switzerland. I asked a different doctor if I could see the facilities. He guided me around and was telling me about his major concerns. People in the small communities getting used to be given pills and forgetting their traditional medicine. I met Maria, one of the health promoters and she was telling me all about how carnations’ tea can be used for hemorrhage control and all this other plants. As we were leaving I told her I would come back… So I can learn from her. She said she’ll be waiting.
That night a group of us went out dancing. It is so nice to have another Latin American around so we can really dance. Alejandro (one of the singers that night by the piano) and I have grown close. The next day, Alejandro, Kyle, Ben and I went to walk around town and were chatting with a 5 year old who was doing his homework. He had the shiniest eyes I have seen and seemed very happy doing homework. I was glad to meet him. We left to Las Escobas around 12 when we had planned the group going through the ship would leave (we didn’t want to be there with another 100 people). When we arrived, a girl told me that it was not great and that we should not spend much time there. It is all so subjective… I had the most wonderful time swimming and in my own natural Jacuzzi with the small waterfalls that had been established. That place provides for most of the freshwater consumed in the area. Other tourists had been disappointed because there were no big waterfalls to see since it had not rained much lately. It reminded me of what I used to say when in High School, if you make yourself very high expectations of something you cannot control, you will most likely be disappointed. If there is no expectation, you will be amazed with what life has offered. I felt blessed in that water. Then we went for food, I ordered a tapado (with the most delicious seafood). The music was great so I was dancing by the pier and then seating by the water. It had been a great day!
I was finally able to talk to Heshi… My heart still beats fast with happiness.
Then Kyle and I went walking around town on a quest to find his flag, y pin and the post office. We found all plus the most delicious mango smoothie I have ever tried! We were some of the last to board the explorer.
The night was research and development project time…
Bantiosh (thanks you in qeqchi) because we finished on time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mycorrhiza

TBS

Sankofa