The Ocean is solid and the world is very very small

(Para que todos los que adoro, puedan leer este blog he decidido intercalar un dia espanol/un dia ingles! Ojala que lo disfruten- voy a escribir 3 frases en el otro idioma al final para que al menos se entienda lo que paso en el dia si no lees el otro idioma)

(So that everyone I love can read this blog, Im writing one day in English, on e day in Spanish and then writing a short outline in the other language at the end. I hope you enjoy!)


As I was in the plane I kept on looking at the sea (It looks solid due to the high speed of the plane) and I couldn't stop imagining myself diving into it/sailing for the first time on a cruise. I had boarded the plane earlier with guilt because the extra 9 pounds in my luggage were due to my MCAT books. I started studying on the plane but then got overwhelmed-didn't stop for 3 hours straight-. So I started looking through my Iphone notes- It was on airplane mode (hopefully that actually works)- and I found a list of the things I want to do before I die. One of them says - go on a cruise for a valid reason- Im so happy it is finally going to happen. As I arrived to fort lauderdale I got excited (I even completely forgot to eat) because in the voyage's facebook group SASers agreed to use a yellow bandana in our wrists and I knew one of the girls was on my same flight! And found her- Kristen- and another girl were there! We talked and have been hanging out since then. (Kristen and one of my roommates Samantha are sitting next to me blogging). In the plane I met Shanika. She is a Bahamian dedicated to Finance but interested in make up so she took a course in Florida, that's why she was in the US then. We talked about the economic situation in Bahamas. She told me that over 80% of the GDP comes from tourism and that 80% of the food eaten is imported. There is not much diversification of labor (besides tourism, banking and in a smaller scale fishery), that the land is not exploited. She said she was worried that even though they have fertile land, nobody wants to work it... Unfortunately, easy money comes through tourism so people do not feel motivated. The lack of auto-sufficiency worried her. With a small population (The size of my hometown, actually) the abuse of the environment is exaggerated and energy/environmental resources are abused, but I am almost certain that a lot of this has to do with the maintenance of hotels. She said people do not recycle (there is not an appropriate system in place) and telecommunications are lagging (they just got 1Gb internet speed). I was glad to be able to talk to her! She gave me her phone just in case! She says she dies to go shopping in NY ;)
In my room there were Paige and Sam. they joined the group that I was with and we went out to Senor Frogs. As I was dancing, I recognized someone... A group of 7 Wagnerians were there. They got so excited! It was hilarious! It is definitely a small world. Some of the girls went to a club. Sam Kristen and I were walking around the Prince George dock (where we will be embarking Friday). On our way back, our driver, Samuel, convinced Sam to get herself Goat Key Island (Yes you can buy one of the 700 islands of the Bahamas in Nassau for 1 million dollars, how about that?) and live in these ten miles with her little goat hehe. The three of us walked in the beach (the other girls had come back because the club was closed). It was a nice evening... Then I blogged but my computer died so here I am. Finishing it at 9am the next day... Im sorry I didnt keep my promise but Ill do my best ;) An amazing day awaits! Ill tell you about it later!

Love

Mel
mas que una so~adora


- Emocion!!! No puedo creer que al fin viy a estar en el oceano, navegando.
- Conoci a una local, Shaniska y conversamos acerca de la situacion economica/social del pais
- Me encontre con mas gente que viene en el programa y salimos a comer/bailar/caminar en la playa!
Todo genial- Ya les seguire contando!

Un abrazo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mycorrhiza

TBS

Sankofa