The shipboard community


Is this real life? But seriously, is it? People actually want to learn and ask questions in and outside of class. Unlike what I was told almost by the time I was going to come, people did not come to this ship to party, at least not this voyage. We relax and talk about development and the ENT class is a discussion with people that want to listen. Last night I did go to sleep but talked with my roommate Angelique for 2 hours first ;) She is very interested in learning more about how communities are engaged in their own development and was even more interested at what I had to say about intervention and aid. I am so happy she is on board being just a freshman.
This morning I had a lot to read about nuclear power but I also took a bridge tour in which the assistant captain showed us the controls and everything involving the management of the voyage and the ship. Then I finally found one of my partners for the ENT project (present a hypothetical/realistic solution for a problem that you will see in the countries we are visiting) and we chatted for a while. He knew about the MCN and what we have been doing and introduced me to one of the Asian communities onboard (being Turkish himself). I am excited to get to know them better 
In class we talked about nuclear power and then used solar panels to activate a powerhouse and see greenhouse effect. I have it on video! I know I sound like a dork but I don’t care 
During ENT I was concerned with our current view of the provision for appropriate housing. I asked about the environmental considerations about the loss of arable land but it is not being addressed due to costs and security of the builders (regularly volunteers). However, this is an important issue when considering sustainability. After all, in many cases where I have been present the building involves a different construction from the precarious one that is already built (meaning twice as much space utilized for the same people). The old houses are not being destroyed but still used for storage or other purposes. This concerns me and will be addressed at the next Habitat meeting and I am planning to talk to the professor of quality of housing, so will see.
After dinner I went to hip hop! First time that I really try to dance this! Had sooooo much fun and the girl who is teaching us is just another student who felt like it would be fun to share! (see what I mean about this amazing idealistic place?) Anyways, preport (info for Trinidad and Tobago) took a very long time but everything that was said was relevant! (wow). The photographer of the voyage talked about engaging people that you want to take pictures of –people or their pictures are not souvenirs-. IU have officially become a travel photographer. Can’t wait to arrive to Port! Will be reporting after these two days!

En pocas. Estoy en el lugar ideal en el que la gente realmente quiere aprender y esta comprometida con lo que viene a hacer ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mycorrhiza

TBS

Sankofa