Vocation vs vacation =)

Yesterday was amazing! I am finally on the ship (note- not a cruise, a SHIP). As we left the port of Prince George I felt as though I was leaving a piece of me there. The city looked so different from up the ship and when we started moving I felt the butterflies in my stomach! I could not believe the time had arrived! I can only see ocean everywhere I turn! I am not going to lie, last night I was a lame SASer, a group of us were gonna play cards but I felt nauseated (note- not nauseous, If I were nauseous I would cause nausea to other people- my friend Sam would laugh at this note). The day went by fast, we were in orientation for the whole day and I have to say, everyone in the crew and staff are eloquent and incredibly nice. During the speech of welcome we had an exercise and I thought our voyage was finally put into perspective. Imagine you were on an island and you lost your wallet and the ship left without you. What would you do? To survive, you look for the embassy and get yourself into contact with the ship but to do that you need people. At that moment people seem to be the means to an end. If you want to thrive, you have to see people as people even in those situations.
At night I was introduced to the tradition of writing behind the frames of the artwork in the room! Past voyagers wrote very insightful advice (some not so much like ‘get the girls –with a different word- the first 3 weeks because they get fat’) besides leaving pictures! They all said we are on the best room! I am on a quad with Melinda, Lauren and Angelique! They are fantastic!
I went to bed early and woke up feeling much better about the rocketing of the boat!
Since not much happened yesterday I wanted to go on a rant about how much resorts disgust me- inspiration from seeing the Atlantis from the sea and a reminder from Cuba, Punta Cana, San Andres-. The amount of resources exploited; these superficial paradises only seem to dilute the culture of the people by bringing different standards for treatment for the satisfaction of the customer and the performance of cultural traditions for their delight (sometimes some of these traditions are only for visitors to see now)… But they bring so many work opportunities for people and enhance the economy… Is it worth it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mycorrhiza

TBS

Sankofa